Saturday, August 14, 2010

Hometown Democracy St. Pete Beach Vice Mayor Debate - Part 2

Click Here to see Part 1 of this debate

Continuing our coverage of the SPB Vice Mayors Debate on Amendment 4!


On August 8, 2010, Vice Mayor Jim Parent emailed the following rebuttal to Vice Mayor Harry Metz's August 4th comments:   {Blogmeister's Note:  portions of Parent's response have been emphasized in Bold by the Blogmeister for emphasis - bolding did not occur in the original}

Harry:

It is clear that we have diametrically opposed views on Amendment 4.

I've formed my views on Amendment 4 after a lot of research and information gathering.  I will be the first to note that I did not invent the ideas that led to the beliefs I hold but rather cultivated them after doing what I feel I am very good at; gathering information from many sources, determining the veracity of that information, analyzing the facts and then developing my opinions.  In addition, we are lucky to have firsthand experience of the impact that our local "Vote-on-everything" environment has had on St. Pete Beach as we study Amendment 4's "Vote-on-everything" proposal.

I don't know which facts form the basis of your views.  You speak in general terms about greedy developers, corrupt bank loans, and bribery of public officials, but I am not aware of any corruption or bribery in St. Pete Beach.  In fact, during my tenure, I've seen special interests of different persuasions try to cajole, bully and threaten our city commission and I feel I've seen the commission shake it off and do what they think is the right thing to do.  I might not always agree with other commissioners but I do think they do try to do what they think is best for the city as a whole.

If you are aware of any criminal incidents (conspiracy, corruption, bribery, etc.), I encourage you to contact the district attorney, since the acts you allude to involve not only municipal malfeasance, but serious crimes.  I have had significant experience with law enforcement over the years and I know our legal system only works if people like you and I do not tolerate misconduct.

If you are not aware of any such incidents, I believe you do the people of the city of St. Pete Beach a grave injustice to make such unfounded suggestions, because such comments send the false message that our city government is corrupt.  While many Hometown Democracy supporters make general allegations of corruption, I believe you (and I) bear a higher duty to refrain from making such harmful and incendiary allegations.  The fact of your status as a former city commissioner and vice mayor of our city could easily create a false impression in the minds of Florida voters that you are privy to special knowledge or information on the subject.

You and I could (and probably will) have additional discussion about the specific merits and dangers of Amendment 4.  In general, after much research, I have concluded that, if it passes in November, Amendment 4 will cost Florida thousands of jobs and hurt working families.  we're in the deepest recession in our lifetime.  Amendment 4 may well prolong it.  I also believe (and experts agree) that Amendment 4 would raise property taxes, hurt our sluggish economy, and make it more expensive to live in Florida.

I've said it before and I'll say it again.  Recession.  Oil Spill.  Amendment 4.  Three strikes.  The Florida Economy's out, for a very long, long time.

So how about the specifics?  There are many issues and problems with Amendment 4 that we could talk about but this time I'll focus on the "Jobs Issue."  I believe that Amendment 4 will cost us jobs.  My experience with Florida's economy, dating back almost 30 years, clearly says that the rejuvenation of that (Florida and St. Pete Beach's) economy and job market depends on our ability to attract and retain major industries and employers.  Tourism is one of Florida's primary industries and the source of a major portion of its jobs, and my research tells me it's been an important part of St. Pete Beach's economy since the 1920's.

Common sense also says that a decline in Florida (and St. Pete Beach's) hotel capacity or facility deterioration would cause a decline in the number of our tourism-related jobs.  You seemingly acknowledge that Amendment 4 will impact our tourism-related jobs when you say:

"This city doesn't need the large 12 or 20 story hotels, [sic]there are many houses that have extra room or to accommodate the over flow of tourist [sic] this is what the residents have done long before I came here in 1950...The size of the hotel now should be all is needed [sic]..."
 Of course, our amended comp plan doesn't allow for 20 stories, but our city's voters did agree, by an overwhelming majority vote, to allow the city's hotels to re-develop up to 12 stories along a 0.9 mile stretch of Gulf Blvd.  Dr. Pyle has proudly admitted tht his ballot challenge litigation has brought this redevelopment to a halt, and which in turn has impacted our local tourism-related industry and job market.

Since all of Florida's cities will be subject to ballot challenge lawsuits like Dr. Pyle's if Amendment 4 passes; I'd say St. Pete Beach is a pretty good indication of the harmful impact Amendment 4 could have on the Florida's effort to preserve, or, ideally stimulate the economy and its job market.

I guess we'll just have to agree to disagree.  However, my examination of Amendment 4 is ongoing, and I will gladly consider any facts you may wish to present that might better inform my analysis.

Jim Parent, Vice Mayor, St. Pete Beach


Click here to see more of the dialog between VM  Harry Metz and VM Jim Parent



 Click here to READ MORE ABOUT HOMETOWN DEMOCRACY AND ST. PETE BEACH




2 comments:

  1. Nothing like putting l-o-n-g letters in a blog to put people to sleep. The system is broken in that our politicians can't say no to developers. Obviously they do it in a way that's legal. Developers have worked for decades to refine the system so that politicians can do their bidding without going to jail.

    When Amendment 4 passes voters will be able to inject common sense into the decision making process. Too bad St Pete Beach doesn't have Hometown Democracy. They wouldn't have the problems they have today

    In spite of the propaganda that Kevin Hing and his developer friends keep spewing out, we deserve a seat at the table.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Yes-Man: If you think the attention span of the average Floridian is too short to read a few short emails, how in blazes to you expect them to read 200 pages of comp plan amendments before they are forced to vote on them under Amendment 4 if it passes?

    You keep saying that St. Pete Beach wouldn't have its problems (i.e. lawsuits) if it had Hometown Democracy, but that's just plain FALSE, and you should know better.

    St. Pete Beach's lawsuits are ballot language challenges. That's a fact...straight from the mouth of the lawyer suing the city. Under Hometown Democracy, the city still would have had to summarize the comp plan changes in the SAME 75 word ballot summaries, and therefore would have been subject to the SAME ballot language challenges.

    The only propaganda being "spewed" are the false claims (like this one) from the Hometown Democracy campaign. If you disagree, prove me wrong with some FACTS.

    ReplyDelete