Sunday, February 20, 2011

I Believe

Last night I received a telephone call that, in a single heartbeat, brought sharp and clear perspective to many of the things I've been seeing and hearing lately.

Late last week, my father, KayMane Lew Hing, began to feel unwell, and on Friday he was hospitalized for a serious medical condition that will be the primary focus of my attention for the foreseeable near future.

Since I'm not sure what is in store in the coming weeks, and how much time and energy I will have to devote to this blog, I wanted to take a moment from the travel arrangements and other details I'm dealing with this morning to say a few brief, incoherent and hasty words of closure regarding the topics I've been discussing.

The clarity and substance of my father's values, and his unwavering dedication to creating a life for his family and community that is sustained and enriched by those values, is the standard by which I have strived to live my own life. 

It is from him that I learned to fight for what you believe, for what is right, and to do so in a way that is fair and true. 


And that is what I've done, to the best of my ability, on this Blog.  Regarding the March election, folks can vote however they want...unlike many who are involved in this debate, I'm not trying to sway votes one way or the other.  But I have developed some strong beliefs along the way that I think Dad would expect me to express.  These things are not about an election.  They are about what I believe is right.

So, with the clock ticking, and in a much more abbreviated than I had ever intended, here is What I Believe about St. Pete Beach:

  • I believe St. Pete Beach is one of the World's most beautiful places to live.
  • I believe the residents of SPB share a love of and dedication to the future of their City unlike the residents of any other city in the state of Florida.
  • I believe that the Bill Pyle and the CRG folks have the right to have used the legal system to preserve and protect what they feel is right.   I know many folks in town strongly disagree, but the American legal system is something I believe in unconditionally, and it is a fundamental element of American Exceptionalism that my Dad fought and sacrificed dearly for in Korea.
  • I believe that the SOLV folks also care deeply about the quality and future of our city, and, like Pyle, had every right to use the legal system and the terms of the city charter.
  • As such, I believe that attacks on the person and character of anyone involved in this debate, SOLV, CRG or anyone else, are base, unwarranted and accomplish nothing but undermining the very foundation of our precious community.
  • I believe that it was not possible to create 75 word ballot summaries for the 2008 Comp plan, or any comp plan, that would satisfy Florida law and the standards set by Judge Demers in the Pyle decision.
  • I do NOT believe that any member of the past or present City commission lied, deceived or acted with malice or ulterior motive in the drafting and approval of the 2008 ballot summaries.  I believe the commission did the best it could to satisfy a impossible standard, and the failure of the ballot summaries to satisfy the standards set by Judge Demers are more a reflection of the flaws in the City Charter than the actions and motives of the commission.
In short, none of the folks on either side who are the subject of the scathing rhetoric lately are deserving of such comments. 

It isn't right.  That's what Dad would say, and I've made every effort to say it as as clearly, as honestly and fairly as humanly possible.

Thanks for reading and commenting...everyone!



No comments:

Post a Comment