Sunday, February 13, 2011

The St. Pete Beach Paradox - Part 2

I was very pleased that a comment to my last blogpost was posted by "Ken", whom I believe (but I'm not certain) is Ken Weiss, the attorney for the plaintiffs in the ballot-challenge litigation against St. Pete Beach.  In his comment, Ken proffers a suggested alternative 75-word ballot summary that inserts some new language about building height.

First of all, it's really great to get this kind of feedback...especially if Ken really is Ken Weiss...because this would be the first suggested ballot language that I've seen from folks who had issues with the City's ballot language.  Hopefully now we can have an informed, reasoned discussion about these ballot language issues and the challenges that these issues raise for the City.

Anyway, before I share Ken's suggested ballot language, let's take a look at the original ballot summary the City used in 2008 (the language that started the lawsuit and that the Plaintiff argued was deceptive):
OK, so now here is the new ballot summary language suggested by Ken:
Ken's suggested ballot language adds language that opponents of the City's 2008 comprehensive plan have frequently emphasized as being, in their minds, critical to full disclosure:  a specific disclosure of 146 feet as an increased building height.

I certainly can appreciate that folks who abhor the height increases included in the 2008 comp plan would want to have language such as that proposed by Ken included in the ballot summary.  However, after reviewing Ken's proposed revisions, it seems to me that Ken's revision leaves unresolved many of the fatal problems that I discussed in my last blogpost, as well as raising new problems.

Let's start with the "easy" stuff, i.e. the unresolved problems.

In my last blogpost, I discussed the fact that, in his ruling in the St. Pete Beach Ballot Challenge litigation, Judge Demers ruled that the City's 2008 ballot summary needed additional information describing the legal effect of the proposed Comprehensive Plan. 

Specifically, Judge Demers ruled that the summary needed additional language explaining that the proposed plan intended to incentivise commercial redevelopment, would allow increases in building height and shifts in residential and commercial density without further voter approval, and created incentives for affordable housing.  

After reviewing Ken's proposed ballot summary revisions, it seems to me that his revisions have the same deficiencies that Judge Demers found in the City's ballot summary.  To better illustrate the problem, I've taken Ken's proposed ballot language and I've added all of the additional language that, in my view (and as discussed in MUCH greater detail in my last blogpost), would be necessary to satisfy Judge Demers' requirements as stated in his ruling (my best effort at crafting the briefest possible Demers-mandated additional language is highlighted in blue):

Final wordcount:  132 words (76.0% over the 75 word limit).

Thus, by my reading of Judge Demers' ruling, and using the fewest possible words, it seems to me that Ken's proposed ballot summary language does not contain all of the disclosure required by Florida election law and Judge Demers, and when the additional language required by Judge Demers is added, Ken's proposed ballot summary is 76% over the 75 word limitation imposed by Florida election law.
 
It seems to me that there are other problems with Ken's proposed ballot language.  It's my understanding that the City's proposed 2008 Comprehensive Plan did not allow increased building heights up to 146 feet throughout the City;  it's my understanding that such height increases were only allowed in the 1.0 mile zone known as the Large Resort District. 

Thus, even if Ken's proposed summary, (as revised by Judge Demer's additional language), could somehow be made to satisfy the 75-word rule, Ken's ballot summary would still be subject to legal challenge as being deceptive and misleading.  Why?  Because Ken's language fails to specify that the height increases are not city-wide and are limited to a specific area, and in fact might create the false impression that 146-foot building heights would be allowed everywhere in St. Pete Beach.

Of course, these are just my own personal views and observations of this very complex issue.  However, I think this illustrates how extremely difficult (if not impossible)  it is apply Florida's election rules and regulations to the review, approval and implementation of a city's comprehensive plan(s).

Finally, thanks very much to Ken for proffering his suggested ballot language.  If there are any errors or inaccuracies in my analysis, I welcome any and all constructive comments and corrections...I've always tried to be the first one to acknowledge my mistakes.  Though I remain convinced that it is not possible to craft a 75 word ballot summary of a comprehensive plan that satisfies Florida law, I hope this is but a beginning to an ongoing, reasoned and respectful discussion about this important issue. 


8 comments:

  1. Kevin, It looks to me that you analysis is right on target. Your respondent’s attempt at simplifying a complex issue is typical of people who read bits and pieces and then think they have “the” answer. You provide an excellent discourse on the difficulty of dealing with Comprehensive Plans and why, in my opinion, these things should be the province of our representative government, as opposed to voter referendum.

    ReplyDelete
  2. To Jim, And what happens when the commission is opposed to tall buildings and tripling density? There will be no voter approval of that either.

    People in power always think they will always be in power...and it is never true.

    How do the voters in Passagrille protect their community against tall buildings if there is no charter provision requiring voter approval? They're concerned with 3 feet now. what happens when some developers get control of the commission and decide PAG would look great with hi rise condos or hotels? Who's going to stop them?

    ReplyDelete
  3. well i guess that's about it for an open and respectful discussion.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Kevin, It appears that this blog is run with the same philosophy that the commissions uses....no opposing points of view allowed...facts only get in the way of the truth...honestly, Kevin, i saw your pictures of the groins at Upham...you might recall that Linda Chaney fought for those...you obviously care about the city, but why can't this blog or the city tolerate opposing points of view? Why can't the city have a comp plan that the entire city gets behind? Why is it so important to give the SOLV Hotels everything they ask for? Maybe if the commission had the guts, or perhaps brains is a better word,to forge a plan that works for the entire city, everyone could get behind it. Instead, the commission listens to the SOLV attorney who drafted the plan and who, the Ethics Commission found probable cause to believe violated the ethics laws by voting in favor of the 2005 plan that made her client $35 million....but these words fall on deaf ears...the only way the commission in this city will understand is legal action and, we hope, more likely, criminal charges, which, we believe are in process. Then, we'll see where SOLV and their high priced lawyers stand...or the city attorneys...or the city manager...they're not at risk...but the commission is...but why would they put themselves at risk for this? They cannot rely on immunity from criminal charges based on flawed legal advice. So, their record will stand for what they did...and who they stood up for...and all the voters will remember is that they betrayed them.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Ken:

    Thanks for all of your comments! I just got home a little while ago, ate some dinner, and now I'll try to address some of your points.

    But before I start, please understand that I don't access the blog and personal emails during the day..only on evenings and weekends...so if it takes 'till the pm or weekend to respond it's nothing personal or an editorial comment.

    Also, I set the comment moderation so I can review the comments first. I've never not published a comment, but given the levels of acrimony rose up during the A4 campaign I do want to have the chance to review and block if someone strays into gratuitous personal attacks. And, again, since I don't access this stuff during the day its no reflection on anyone if it takes a few extra hours before it shows up on the blog.

    And finally (before getting to the good stuff) for some strange reason a few of your comments apparently have not published even when I checked them and authorized them to be published. So now I have go try to copy the text so I can try to post them for you. Not sure why this happened...never happened before. Anyway, I'm going to try to do that now, so bear with me.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Dear KevBlog readers:

    The following was posted by Ken at 8:36 am this morning, but for some reason it didn't post when I hit the "publish" button. So I'm pasting it below now:

    "Kevin, The following unnecessary words were intended to pander to the voters and evidence in the trial showed that SOLV did a phone survey to utilize the buzz words necessary to obtain voter approval. Every issue below was in the top 5 positive responses in that survey, which is available for all to see if you care to post it.

    "provides green standards for redevelopment promoting energy efficiency and conservation, public beach access, evacuation requirements, and enables impact fees."

    If you or any readers would truly like to understand the argument opposing the ballot summaries, I'll gladly post our "closing argument" to the judge. It includes a discussion of all of the issues and shows an intent to deceive. SOLV and the City actually argued to the judge that the comp plan did not require the city to adopt the height standards (up to 146 feet in the large resort district) so a reference to height was not necessary in the comp plan summary. However, but both Bonfield and Holley testified that the way the comp plan was written the city WAS required to adopt the increase in height in the land development regulations. The judge saw through all of the deception...and it was very apparent at trial.

    And, this posted discussion has conveniently omitted the other referenda items, for example,why was the 146 foot height increase not included in the Large Resort District ballot language below? Because SOLV and the city were worried that the voters wouldn't approve it. Why else omit 146 feet in the district which everyone admits included the height increase.

    It was this clear intention to deceive which became apparent throughout the trial....which I note NOT ONE commissioner attended....NOT ONE...perhaps because it was the forum for truth and not propaganda.

    Ordinance 2008-11 immediately adopts Land Development Code amendments establishing Large Resort district regulations that provide permitted uses, density intensity, and height standards for redevelopment of temporary lodging, commercial and residential uses. Ordinance 2008-11 preserves the maximum height of fifty feet for residential uses, prohibits variances for increased height of structures without voter approval, and provides green standards for redevelopment promoting energy efficiency and conservation, increased setbacks and public beach access. Should Ordinance 2008-11 be adopted?"

    ReplyDelete
  7. Ken:

    The other comments you posted referred to the fact that I wasn't responding and your posts weren't posting immediately, so, since I've already explained about that, I haven't republished them here.

    Regarding the philosophy of my blog, I think perhaps some of your comments might have been made with the mistaken impression that I was censoring you, when in fact I only just got home and saw them an hour or so ago, so I hope you'll take me at my word when I say that not only do I share all points of view, I think I actually make an extra effort to encourage folks of all stripes to participate. If you have any doubts, dig deep into the blog and read some of the, well, unsavory stuff that the Amendment 4 folks were posting, yet I always posted what they said, I never censored them, and I always tried to have a reasoned discussion. And I've said to more than a few in town that if they ever think I'm straying from the straight path, then thump me and and let me know.

    Anyway, I do hope to be able to have some good discussions about these issues. The way I roll here is stick to substance, and leave any personal attacks at the door, or in the trash where they belong.

    We all know that the rhetoric has been intense here in our town over the past few years. I know objectivity can be tough in such times, but from my point of view it's pretty clear that both the CRG folks and the SOLV folks love St. Pete Beach...they just have different ideas about how to go about preserving and enhancing the beauty and success of our city.

    There was a simple reason why I chose to focus on only one of the 2008 ballot items...after looking at the language of the ballot summary, then Judge Demers' opinion, then the revisions, then again and again for each of the counts, it was just too much material to do the same thing with all of the items. But I think the others are subject to the same basic analysis...especially since Judge Demers made similar rulings on the other counts.

    OK, so I'll try to address some of your other points tomorrow night (I'm fading fast here).

    Thanks again for all of your comments, and I'll try to cover some more ground tomorrow.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Kevin,

    My apologies for not realizing that it took you some time to respond. Thanks for clarifying that and please excuse my impatience.

    Ken

    ReplyDelete